Sunday 12 February 2012

Character Development

For this project I was assigned to create the lair of a super hero or villain and to design the said super hero/ villain, owner of the lair. For submission I had to present a 1 minute animated fly-through of 4 rooms that best represented my character, and a series of drawings of my character during development, including the finished pieces.

Through looking at how to design environment and props, I explored and practiced modelling, texturing, lighting and camera techniques in order to gain a better understanding of how to produce an animation.

Half of this course was based in character design, coming up with a character that could operate out of the lair that we were designing.

My character design was based on several different influences. It is largely influenced by the popular online multiplayer game World of Warcraft. Specifically a character called the 'Lich King'



I liked this style of character because they seemed like strong characters that would be able to wield large weapons and exhibit a lot of control and power, they also seem the sort of characters that would have minions and servants working for them, as my character would have. I also like the juxtaposition of a dark knight dressed in medieval armor surrounded by high tech equipment like arc reactors and modern computers in the environment.

In the end I created some semi final ideas for my finished character out of these i chose my final design. 
I decided that this character was the best one for the project because his design lent itself to the virtual space I had created better than any of the others. His large spiked armor of his suit could be made of ice and his weapon carved of the same. He also wears furs around his waist like many people who live in colder environments for warmth, giving him the desired look.

No comments:

Post a Comment